Friday, June 15, 2007

Jaguars: Darius stunned by release

The Jaguars release safety Donovin Darius on Thursday, much to the surprise of the nine-year veteran. "This is just another chapter in my life," Darius tells the Orlando Sentinel. "I have to say I was surprised, but at the same time, I know that's part of this game, part of this business."


The Jaguars have tabbed Gerald Sensabaugh to start in place of Darius, who appeared in only 20 games over the last two seasons. Rookie Reggie Nelson will likely start at free safety, a spot that was previously occupied by Deon Grant.

Apparently the Jags weren't too happy with their safety play in 2006, huh? Darius was a very good safety prior to running into injuries over the past two years, and I thought Jags would keep him around to mentor some of their younger talents.

Alas, Donovin is now on the market and will likely get quite a few phone calls.

No comments: